Students are not to arrive on the school campus before 8:00 a.m. - there is no supervision prior to that time. Breakfast will begin in the cafeteria at 8:00 a.m. (students should enter through the outside cafeteria doors off the gym parking lot). Students should also go to the cafeteria to pay for lunch credits between 8:00 and 8:15 a.m. Students will not be allowed in the main building (except to eat breakfast) until 8:15 am.
All students arriving on campus should report directly to the playground until 8:15 a.m. At 8:15 a.m. the school starting bell will ring and students line up with their classmates to prepare for school. The tardy bell will ring at 8:18 a.m. and students arriving on campus after that time will need to check in with the office before going to class.
1. Walking and bicycle riding students are expected to leave campus promptly at 3:00 pm when the bell rings (they are not to stop and play on the playground). The campus is closed each day until 4:00 pm. This rule is in place for the safety of our students, as there is no staff supervision during after school hours on the playground for general play. Staff will be supervising the loading of bus students during this time.
2. Bussing students should report immediately to the bus loading zone on the west side of the building. The playground area is closed except for those waiting for a bus. This rule is in place to help staff to adequately supervise the bus/day care students.
3. Those students waiting for rides should have a prearranged spot to meet their parents. We ask that parents not enter the gym parking lot to drop off or pick up students - for safety reasons, the gym parking lot has been designed for staff parking only and other cars should not use it for a turn around or loading area.
4. Students who are unsure of after school plans should report to the office immediately to be assisted in contacting their parents.
Safest Route Home
The map at the end of the handbook identifies a variety of suggested routes for students who walk to and from school. These route suggestions reflect considerations of traffic patterns, existing traffic controls, and other crossing protections aids such as school patrols. Please take a moment to acquaint your child with the appropriate route to school. Additionally, a review of the following safety tips will help ensure your child's safety:
1. Always use sidewalks where available. Where no walking area exists, walk on the left side of the roadway facing oncoming traffic.
2. Before crossing any street, stop and look both ways for oncoming traffic.
3. Where available, cross at marked crosswalks and walk, do not run, while in the crosswalk area.
4. Cross only at safe corners, even if you must walk farther to do so. - Do not jaywalk!
5. Obey the instructions of your school patrol, and cross only after receiving direction from him/her.
6. When crossing at a traffic signal, be sure to press the pedestrian walk button, if available, and wait for signal indication and traffic to stop before entering the street. Flashing "Don't Walk" means do not begin to walk; however, if you are already crossing the street, you may continue walking. After the "Walk" signal, there should be adequate time to allow the average pedestrian to continue walking across the street before oncoming traffic receives a green light.
7. Do not walk between parked cars. Watch for turning cars.
8. Refuse to talk to or ride with strangers.
9. Go directly from home to school or from school to home by the recommended agreed upon route with parents/guardians.